Aquatic Plant Science

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aquatic Plant Science

The science of submerged aquatic plants in the aquarium hobby

Acetate is utilized by bacteria

Lawrence So

Acetate is utilized by bacteria Empty Acetate is utilized by bacteria

Post by Lawrence So Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:07 am

Regarding the DIY Ca and Mg threads, any concerns that the acetate that is produced from acetic acid may accumulate, it is utilized by both bacteria and algae as an organic carbon source for their growth.

Acetate and glucose were found in 1—10 mg/liter concentrations in the several natural waters tested. At these very low concentrations, algal uptake of glucose and acetate is so low that effective heterotrophy is impossible. In contrast, the bacteria effectively remove substrate from solution at these low levels and probably keep the substrate at these low concentrations. By doing this, the bacteria may prevent heterotrophic growth of algae in nature.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So it seems like there is no significant worry about acetate because it will be readily used up.  This may explain the reason why my tank experienced a bloom of white haze the day after I dosed My acetate.  The water was clear again within 24 hours.
    Lawrence So

Acetate is utilized by bacteria Empty Re: Acetate is utilized by bacteria

Post by Lawrence So Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Well, I just killed two fish when the bacterial bloom went crazy and removed all the oxygen.  All the fish were at the surface gasping, along with the shrimp and snails. So don't add too much acetate all at once.  Add it little by little to allow the bacteria to consume the acetate before adding more.  This should prevent low oxygen.